Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Running Away

It's been a while since I last posted. I've been busy with work and other things. And then, last week someone did something stupid. Suffice to say that a friend of mine decided to quit his job in a community that we're in. Which is fine by itself, since no one is forcing him to do it anyway. But it becomes not-so-fine when he left a whole truckload of mess behind. And people have to sort it out for him because he left no clues whatsoever about the current status of his job. It's just that. He just left. Or in other words.. ran away.

I don't know about other places but where I work, If you're going to quit you have to arrange a handover of your current jobs. The basic idea is that a person may come or go, it's their choice to do so. But the work must continue. The show must go on. So before you leave, you hand over your job to someone else, tell them of the status of your current job, the outstanding tasks that are still in progress, and the tasks that still need to be done to complete the job. What's so terribly hard about that? Except if you yourself never really knew the status of your current job, the tasks, and what to do after. Now that's a different story altogether.

Aside from the truckload of mess he left, he also left some questions about 'Why'. It doesn't really matter, though. The fact is, he just left. Without even trying to be responsible by briefing someone about the status of his current job.

This is just mere speculation, but I've been getting the feeling of 'being unneeded' creeping from him, so perhaps that's one reason. I know that feeling. And it's torturous, when you knew that the world is just going to stay its course, regardless of what you do. That even if you suddenly disappear, it wouldn't matter for anyone. I know that feeling. I still felt that way these days.

But it still doesn't give someone the justification to just leave all his responsibilities and leave them to someone else. Sure, you always have the right to run away. But for me personally, running away is never an answer. It has never solved anything for me, and it never will.

2 comments:

natsu said...

Letting the feeling of 'being unneeded' get the best of you is just plain stupid, IMHO. The world WILL continue on its path with or without anyone of us.

As for me, the most important thing is what I do with my life. So be it if the world does think nothing of whatever I have achieved with my own hands. At least, I'd be satisfied with myself. Nothing beats that feeling. :D

Zaku said...

Different person, different views, Nats. Most people have the need to feel that they are needed. And for some even, it's the only thing that keeps them going. When they felt that even if they're gone, it won't matter for anyone, sometimes they just stops ticking.

I'm not saying it's what drives him.. or me, for that matter. It's just there are people like that in this world.